perþ : dice-cup? vulva?
Phonetic equivalent: p
- DIVINATORY MEANINGS:
- rebirth, mystery, magic, divination, fertility, sexuality, new beginning, prophecy
- MAGICAL USES:
- fertility, easing childbirth, to aid in divination and magic, enhancing psychic abilities
- ASSOCIATED MYTHS & DEITIES:
- Freya, Angrbode
- The actual interpretation of perþ has been the subject of much controversy among runic scholars. The problem lies in the fact that the initial P sound doesn’t occur anywhere else in the old Germanic language, leading to the belief that the word was imported from another language. The Old English rune poem seems to indicate that it had to do with some sort of game, leading many to interpret it as ‘chess pawn’ or ‘dice-cup’. The dice-cup meaning is particularly interesting as it not only fits the shape of the rune, but also hints at such an object’s original use as a container for the runes themselves. An alternate interpretation of perþ is derived from the Slavic ‘pizda’, meaning ‘vulva’. This meaning (although obscure and somewhat unlikely) fits quite well into the progression of runes up until this point, symbolizing the rebirth that follows death. Viewing it as a symbol of the womb of the Goddess, it represents the same element of the mysterious and hidden as ‘dice-cup’, but taken literally as ‘vulva’, it adds a powerful, feminine, sexual counterpart to uruz that would otherwise be missing from the fuþark.
However you choose to interpret the literal meaning of perþ (and again, nobody really knows what that is), the basic symbolism is that of a vessel, nurturing and giving ‘birth’, keeping hidden and secret all those mysteries which can be uncovered only after the initiation of death. The rune is closely tied in with the idea of fate, that the road we travel, regardless of what we choose to do along the way, is pre determined from the moment of our birth. The very act of being born sets us along a course of cause and effect, action and reaction that we may choose to follow blindly, or try to divine through the runes or other means in order that we may better understand the lessons we will learn. Perþ is the beginning of this process, as well as the tool for accomplishing it.
- makes any venture successful
finds opportunity everywhere
takes an idea and makes it work
is a natural manager and businessperson
has the Midas touch
- is informed about practical matters
has a wide range of natural abilities
has quick reflexes
is skillful with his or her hands
handles any situation competently
- meets all commitments and promises
is dependable and unfailing
can be counted on in a crisis
serves as a rock for others to lean on
- encourages the accomplishments of others
readily jumps in to help
is a philantropist
gives generously of time and attention
sponsors worthwhile projects
- works toward a goal with firm resolve
avoids mood and behavior swings
has regular habits and activities
maintains a calm, even approach
is a stabilizing influence
The personality of the King of Pentacles is a combination of the positive earth energy of the Pentacles suit and the active, outward focus of a King. He might as well be called King Midas as he turns everything he touches to gold (riches of all kinds). He finds opportunity everywhere and succeeds at whatever he sets his mind to. He is enterprising and adept. Whatever the task, he handles it competently, drawing on his wide range of skills and practical knowledge. He’s a jack-of-all-trades – and master of all as well. He is always dependable and responsible. Others rely on him completely because he never fails them. He gives generously of his time and resources because he knows that by giving more, you receive more. He encourages others in their accomplishments and lends his support whenever it is needed. He has a steady and even temperament that adds an element of stability to any situation. When he has set a goal for himself, he pursues it with firm resolve until he’s successful.
In readings, the King of Pentacles asks you to take the kinds of actions he might take. For example: keeping a comittment, fixing something that’s broken, making money, or sponsoring a new enterprise. This King can also represent a man or woman who is acting as he does, or an atmosphere of steady, reliable competence. In a reading, he tells you that his special energy has meaning for you at this time. Let yourself be inspired by this King in whatever form he appears in your life.